Nunatsiaq News
NEWS: Nunavut November 28, 2016 - 5:05 am

The lockdown in Resolute Bay is over, RCMP says

Man, 46, found deceased inside a residence

Resolute Bay is under a lockdown Nov. 28 as police say an armed man continues to be at large in the community. (PHOTO/WIKIPEDIA COMMONS)
Resolute Bay is under a lockdown Nov. 28 as police say an armed man continues to be at large in the community. (PHOTO/WIKIPEDIA COMMONS)

(Updated, 8:30 p.m.)

A lockdown that kept people in Resolute Bay indoors Nov. 28 was lifted, the Nunavut RCMP said in one of three news releases issued Nov. 28.

The announcement of the end of the lockdown preceded the news that a man, 46, died during the prolonged standoff in the High Arctic community.

“The investigation is ongoing and the RCMP wishes to be respectful to the suspect’s family, friends and the Community and therefore will not provide any further details at this time,” the third release from police said.

“The community of Resolute Bay has been in our thoughts and prayers throughout this sad and difficult time. We are very thankful to the community for their cooperation and continued support to the family and friends of the deceased, victim and our members.”

At about 1:15 p.m. Nov. 28, members of the RCMP Emergency Response Team entered the residence in which the man had barricaded himself and found he was “unfortunately already deceased.”

On Nov. 27 the man had assaulted his common-law partner causing a severe laceration to her face, police said.

The woman was able to escape on foot—she was treated at the local nursing station and required a medevac to Iqaluit for her injuries. The man then discharged about 10 rounds from a high- powered rifle hitting a nearby residence, police said.

“Fortunately, no occupants of this residence were injured,” the release said.

But the man then barricaded himself inside a residence “possibly bearing a firearm.”

The RCMP sent in its emergency response team from Alberta to assist the two RCMP members in Resolute Bay.

Over the next eight hours, the RCMP negotiators made contact with the man and “engaged him in lengthy negotiations with a goal of resolving this situation peacefully,” the RCMP said.

The events of Nov. 28 also triggered the lockdown of the school, the hamlet office and local businesses in Resolute Bay.

At about 7:30 p.m. Nov. 27, the armed man had first fired shots around the community.

At this time, and into Nov. 28, police urged everyone in Resolute Bay, whose population is roughly 270, to stay inside.

Also on Nov. 28, the Nunavut RCMP dealt with an armed standoff in Baker Lake where an armed man had barricaded himself into a house in the 4000-block.

But the 23-year old man was taken into custody around 6 a.m. or 7 a.m., Nov. 28, police said. Another person was treated at the health centre in Baker Lake for a non-life-threatening injury.

Email this story to a friend... Print this page... Bookmark and Share