NEWS: Nunavut November 07, 2018 - 1:30 pm

He ain’t heavy, he’s my education minister

“I ended up carrying my colleague on my back to cross the creek”

NUNATSIAQ NEWS
Even though he carried Education Minister David Joanasie on his back last summer to get him across a swollen creek, Aivilik MLA Patterk Netser says he isn't ready to start wearing an amauti. (FILE PHOTO)

Aivilik MLA Patterk Netser gave a whole new meaning to the term “burden of office” last summer.

That was when he lugged Education Minister David Joanasie across a swollen creek near Coral Harbour, Netser’s hometown.

“I ended up carrying my colleague on my back to cross the creek. However, I don’t wish to get an amauti and I certainly hope I don’t have to carry another adult as I start to age, Mr. Speaker,” Netser said in the legislative assembly last Friday, Nov. 2, provoking laughter among his colleagues.

Joanasie, as education minister, had visited Coral Harbour to help celebrate a graduation ceremony.

On the morning Joanasie was due to fly out, Netser took him on a drive around the community.

When they ended up at a stream called Fossil Creek, they saw Joanasie’s plane land at the airport and got worried about getting back on time.

“The plane was on its final approach, so I told him we have to hurry up. We were on the other side of the creek, and this summer was quite wet, so the creeks and rivers were swollen,” Netser said.

But when Netser tried to drive across the creek, his vehicle got stuck.

So he looked for a narrower section of the creek to cross on foot. And because Joanasie wore light footwear, Netser offered to carry him across.

“He replied that he weighed over 200 pounds, so if I wanted to carry him it might be difficult. I asked him: do you want to get on the plane?”

“I promise you won’t have to amaaq me next time,” Joanasie said later that day, provoking more laughter.

“It just shows how he will go above and beyond for his guests, and I thank him for that.”

Nunavut MLAs traditionally use Friday morning member’s statements to make jokes and tell light-hearted stories.

That afternoon, Netser became a cabinet minister by acclamation, filling the spot vacated by Iqaluit-Niaqunguu MLA Pat Angnakak.

#1. Posted by Common Sense on November 07, 2018

This is newsworthy or even worthy of wasting Legislative Assembly time. Good to see you’re tackling the tough issues for your constituents.

#2. Posted by Common Sense on November 07, 2018

Post #1.

All the MLA’s have an opening statement before they deal with the real issues.

Since when cannot they joke around at the legislative assembly before the seriousness. Some hate you have.

#3. Posted by Observer on November 07, 2018

And this is helping nunavumiut….who cares about who you carried over a creek. Useless news.

#4. Posted by Seriously on November 07, 2018

MLA’s can joke with each other outside of time when the legislature is in session, break time, etc What a frickin waste of time (money too).  It’s not like there aren’t a number of pressing issues within the territory that can wait.

#5. Posted by The Difference on November 07, 2018

These posts clearly show the difference between cultures.
Western European culture expects work work work and decorum to be done/upheld every minute.
Inuit take the time to use humour, tell stories and laugh and do not understand why so many others behave like they have a pole up their a*s.

#6. Posted by Sledding on November 08, 2018

I’d like to see you guys tackle issues throughout Nunavut without any form of comfort to share good stories. Perhaps this story helped build a relationship between two ministers and will help bring recognition to Netsers constituents. He brought him to his home town, worked hard I would assume and found time to connect on the land, show him his roots, connect professionally and spiritually through their own downtime. Afterall, we are one territory, and these ministers don’t get a lot of down time. We share the land and the animals, in this article, they shared a moment.

Take it easy on these guys. Give them time and breathing space.

#7. Posted by Anonymous on November 08, 2018

Oh shut up yall. Its totally okay to tell stories anywhere, yes even at the legislative assembly!! 🖕😈🖕

#8. Posted by Appreciative on November 08, 2018

#5 Well said!!

#9. Posted by Father time on November 10, 2018

Amaaq. Amauti. Amaaqqtuaq. Amaanguaq. All good words for you to learn and understand and appreciate. Amaarlagiit?
It is also a gender issue as only women amaaq(ed) and had an amauti now men have them too. We are adapting.