Nunatsiaq News
NEWS: Around the Arctic February 18, 2013 - 8:17 am

NEAS contest for Nunavut, Nunavik: name our new ship

Nunavut Eastern Arctic Shipping holds a public competition to name its fifth cargo vessel

Here is the Aivik, one of four cargo vessels now operated by NEAS. (FILE PHOTO)
Here is the Aivik, one of four cargo vessels now operated by NEAS. (FILE PHOTO)

What should Nunavut Eastern Arctic Shipping call its new ship?

That’s the question that NEAS asking people in Nunavut and Nunavik.

Here are some names that you won’t want to chose: aivik, umiavut, avataq and qamutik. That’s because those are the names of the four ships now owned by NEAS.

You can enter the contest if you are 10 years or older and live in Nunavut or Nunavut.

The contest, which opens on Feb.15, 2013, closes at 6 p.m. on March 31.

You can enter on a form here  to submit your suggested name for the NEAS ship.

Or you can .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) your name suggestion directly, or tweet your name suggestion on Twitter with the hashtag #nameNEASship.

The winner will receive an iPad2.

Nunavut Eastern Arctic Shipping Inc., a Quebec-based company, is owned by Tukimut, a locally-owned, Inuit business, which holds 51 per cent of the voting shares, and NEAS Inc., which holds the remaining 49 per cent.

NEAS is owned by Makivvik Corp. and Transport Nanuk Inc., a joint venture between Logistec Corporation and the North West Co.


Email this story to a friend... Print this page... Bookmark and Share