Nunatsiaq News
NEWS: Nunavut April 09, 2014 - 4:10 pm

Nunasi subsidiary yearns to cash in on Nunavut iron mine

Nuna East looks for opportunities at Mary River

The board of Nuna East, a Nunasi Corp. subsidiary that started up about a year ago. (HANDOUT PHOTO)
The board of Nuna East, a Nunasi Corp. subsidiary that started up about a year ago. (HANDOUT PHOTO)

A Nunasi Corp. subsidiary called Nuna East Ltd. said April 9 that they’re ready to take on mining infrastructure work, especially at the Baffinland Iron Mines Corp. Mary River project.

Nuna East Ltd. is a partnership between five entities: Nunasi, the three community co-operatives in Pond Inlet, Igloolik and Hall Beach, and the management of a longstanding Nunasi subsidiary called Nuna Logistics.

Nuna Logistics is owned 51 per cent by Nunasi Corp. and the Kitikmeot Corp. The other 49 per cent is owned by the firm’s management group.

The Nuna Logistics firm offers services in areas like ice road and all-weather road construction, as well as quarrying, earth works, open pit mining, dam and dike building, and heavy equipment simulator training.

Nuna East has actually existed for a year and just wrapped up a planning and board meeting April 1.

“All shareholders are very pleased with the first year of operations and are committed to the long-term success of Nuna East,” a company press release said.

The release said the company has already carried out work at Mary River.

Okalik Eegeesiak, the chair of Nunasi and the president of the Qikiqtani Inuit Association, said in the release that the company offers a way for Nunavut communities to receive “direct financial benefits” from industrial developments in their backyard.

“Nuna East has proven to be an effective model of partnering utilizing the expertise of Inuit owned companies and community co-ops to benefit Nunavummiut, our communities and clients,” Okalik said.

She also said Nuna East hopes to snag more business from Baffinland as the Inuit impact benefit agreement between QIA and Baffinland is implemented, the release said.


Email this story to a friend... Print this page... Bookmark and Share