Nunatsiaq News
NEWS: Nunavut August 20, 2004 - 3:58 pm

St. Julien seeks continued Nunavik role

"After 16 years I don't want to let the important files go"


Liberal Guy St-Julien, who represented Nunavik in the House of Commons, lost his seat in the Bloc Québécois sweep of Quebec on June 28, but the former MP kept his deep affection for the region and its residents.

“We are friends for life,” said St-Julien in an interview from his home in Val D’Or. “The most memorable experiences from my 16 years of political life came from Inuit.”

St-Julien blames his loss on the anger of voters in the southern part of the huge Nunavik-Eeyou riding. This made many voters stay home in a kind of silent protest against the Liberal Party and federal sponsorship scandals.

“The Bloc vote didn’t go up in many places,” St-Julien said. “It was voter dissatisfaction, pure and simple.”

Despite his loss, St-Julien isn’t discouraged.

“I did my job,” he said. “I’m in good health, and everything’s going well. I’m out of the political circuit, yes, but, after 16 years, I don’t want to let the important files go.”

St-Julien said he isn’t planning to run again for federal office, but he wants to continue working on behalf of Nunavik on issues such as housing, taxation and gun control. He said Stéphane Dion, who was recently appointed as the federal minister responsible for northern Québec, had already called him for information.

St-Julien headed to Kuujjuaq last month to meet old friends and see whether he can continue to put his many contacts to use for the region.

Email this story to a friend... Print this page... Bookmark and Share