NEAS nabs GN Iqaluit contract

“This is a clear vote of confidence,” says CEO


NEAS Inc.'s MV Aivik is pictured here. (FILE PHOTO)

NEAS Inc.’s MV Aivik is pictured here. (FILE PHOTO)

Nunavut Eastern Arctic Shipping has won the Government of Nunavut’s contract to for dry cargo resupply to Iqaluit, NEAS announced April 27.

The contract means NEAS will handle all shipments for government departments, agencies and construction projects in Iqaluit.

That represents a significant increase in NEAS’ market share, said Suzanne Paquin, the company’s chief executive officer and president.

“Given the importance of Iqaluit as the territorial capital and the scope of economic activity currently underway and in planning for the area, this is a clear vote of confidence,” Paquin said in a news release.

NEAS plan to offer six sailings to Iqaluit over the 2012 sealift season.

NEAS a Quebec-based shipping company, is considered to be Nunavut Inuit majority-owned.

Tukimut holds 51 per cent of the voting shares, while NEAS Inc. holds the remaining 49 per cent.

Qikiqtaaluk Corporation announced this past February that it sold all of its interest in NEAS to Nunavik’s Makivvik Corp. last fall.

Share This Story

(0) Comments