Photo: Kuujjuaq school classroom closed to mold


A taped-off classroom door with a sign saying

A taped-off classroom door with a sign saying “this room is contaminated” alarmed some parents who visited Kuujjuaq’s Jaanimmarik School this week to discuss their children’s report cards. The second-floor classroom, one of two found to be contaminated by mold, was closed to students and teachers at the school last week. The presence of mold, tiny mushroom-like fungi which like to grow in moist environments, can cause allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints. Generally when mold is found, a room must be stripped down, cleaned and refinished. Jaanimmarik School celebrated its 25th anniversary this year. (PHOTO BY JANE GEORGE)

Share This Story

(0) Comments