Face coverings become mandatory for airline workers

Only pilots are exempt from new Transport Canada requirement

Canadian North uses this graphic on its website to remind all air travellers that they need to wear face coverings or masks. That requirement has now been extended to airline workers, effective June 4. (Image courtesy of Canadian North)

By Nunatsiaq News

If you work at an airport or for an airline in Nunavut or Nunavik, as of noon on Thursday, June 4, you, along with other transportation workers, will be obliged to wear a removable non-medical mask or face covering large enough to cover your mouth and nose.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau said on Wednesday that he is expanding the requirements for the use of face coverings and non-medical masks to reduce the risk of COVID-19.

The new requirement extends from airline flight crews to those in restricted areas, with the exception of pilots on the flight deck, Garneau said.

“My top concern continues to be the well-being of the transportation workers and the travelling public. The measures we are putting in place today will further reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 for transportation workers and passengers,” said Garneau in a release.

Since April 20, airline passengers have been required to wear masks.

All travellers, with limited exceptions, must now wear a removable non-medical mask or face covering large enough to cover their mouth and nose during their travel through Canadian airports and when in flight, and must bring their own face covering or mask with them.

Garneau said that maintaining a physical distance of two metres and hand washing are still the most effective methods to curb the spread of COVID-19.

He also suggested limiting non-essential travel.

“Our highest priority remains Canadians’ safety and security,” Garneau said.

Transport Canada is also making a recommendation that all workers in marine transportation keep a face covering with them, and wear that when needed, when they are unable to maintain physical distancing or when local authorities require it.

Share This Story

(0) Comments