First day of attempted-murder trial shows videos of alleged attack
Iqaluit man faces attempted murder charge over 2019 incident that left one man hospitalized
The first day of the trial Monday of an Iqaluit man charged with attempted murder in 2019 saw surveillance footage of the alleged snowmobile attack that caused one man to be airlifted to Ottawa for medical treatment.
Jordan Kovic was 19 when he was charged with attempted murder after the Dec. 27, 2019, incident in Iqaluit.
At the time, RCMP said one person, a 28-year-old man, had been transported to hospital in Ottawa. A second person, a 29-year-old man, had also been allegedly assaulted and run over that evening, but managed to run to the safety of the men’s shelter, police said then.
Kovic is also charged with assault with a weapon, failure to comply with a court appearance notice of summons and one count of aggravated assault.
On Monday, Kovic pleaded not guilty to the attempted murder charge and guilty to the three other charges.
The Crown showed the court several videos of the alleged attack using surveillance footage from the men’s shelter, the beer and wine store, and house 1019.
Footage taken from cameras at house 1019 showed what appeared to be Kovic driving a snowmobile.
At one point, the driver appears to hit another person with the snowmobile, knocking the person to the ground. The person gets up and appears to walk away.
Another video showed the driver hitting another person and knocking that person to the ground, then kicking the person in the head repeatedly.
Then in another video, the driver on the snowmobile is seen running over that person, who appeared to be lying motionless on the ground.
The videos showed the incidents from different angles, sometimes showing the driver riding the snowmobile between buildings and other times showing a group of people walking around, in addition to showing the alleged attack itself.
The first day of the trial heard testimony from two RCMP officers who investigated the incident in 2019 and obtained surveillance video from surrounding buildings.
The trial continues Tuesday and is expected to run for two weeks.