Updated: Nunavik declares its 10th case of COVID-19
On April 12, nine confirmed cases in Purvirnituq
(Updated, Sunday, April 12, 8:30 p.m.)
As of 8 p.m. on Sunday, April 12, there were 10 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Nunavik, the Nunavik Regional Board of Health and Social Services said in a social media update.
“The NRBHSS has been informed of 3 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the community of Puvirnituq. The individuals were already in isolation and they are doing well. They will be able to continue their isolation at home. These new cases bring the cumulative total to ten (10) cases for the region,” the health board said.
That brings the total number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Puvirnituq, which has a population of about 1,900, to nine.
Five have been declared since Friday, April 10.
Earlier on Sunday, the health board said in an emailed statement to Nunatsiaq News that no other “possible case announcement” was expected “so far” to be announced over the Easter weekend.
“We announce cases as soon as we are informed of them. We make sure to verify first that the patient has been made aware of its diagnosis by its treating team. Once we have confirmation that this is done, we have a whole process and a few steps to announce the case.
“It’s hard to know in advance when we will receive a confirmation for a case but as soon as we receive one, we start the process and announce it,” health board spokesperson Josée Lévesque said.
Of those who have tested positive for COVID-19 to date in Purvirnituq, one remains in hospital, she said.
A late evening announcement on Saturday, April 11, from the health board announced a new confirmed case of COVID-19 for an individual in Puvirnituq.
“The individual is in isolation at home and is doing fine. Close family members were already in isolation before the case was confirmed. This new case brings the cumulative total to seven (7) cases for the region,” the posting said.
This followed an earlier announcement on Friday, April 10, that a new positive case of COVID-19 in Nunavik had been confirmed in Puvirnituq.
“The individual is currently under the care of health professionals at Inuulitsivik Health Centre,” the health board said. “The individual was already in isolation while awaiting the test results.”
The health department said on April 5 that the first person declared to have COVID-19 in the region, from the Hudson Strait community of Salluit, had recovered.
“Verifications are being done at the moment to see if we have a new recovered case,” Lévesque said on April 12.
Nunavik announced its first case of COVID-19 on March 29.
Since then a curfew and other preventive measures have been put into effect across Nunavik, and travel to the region must now be pre-approved.
The new cases in Nunavik are added to the 12,292 confirmed cases in Quebec on April 12: 289 people in Quebec, mainly aged over 70, have died from the new coronavirus.
Over the Easter weekend, the Nunavik health board also encouraged Nunavimmiut to make fabric non-medical masks, as shown in an online video.
A homemade mask is not as effective as a medical mask, the health board said, but “it could help protect others from your droplets if you carry COVID-19 virus.”
“A mask should always be disinfected after each use and not be shared,” the health board said in its advisory.
Reminder: if you believe you may have been infected with COVID-19, do not go to your local nursing station or health centre. Contact the health information line at 1-888-662-7482 from Monday to Friday, from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., and on Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Outside those hours, contact your local health facility.