Officials declare Iqaluit’s COVID-19 outbreak over
It has been 28 days since the last case of COVID-19 was resolved
The COVID-19 outbreak in Iqaluit was officially declared over on Tuesday and there are no active cases of COVID-19 in the entire territory of Nunavut.
As of Monday, it had been 28 days since anyone has had COVID-19 in the capital city, which is the criteria to declare the end of an outbreak, Dr. Michael Patterson, Nunavut’s Chief Public announced in a statement Tuesday.
Iqaluit’s first case of COVID-19 was reported on April 14.
Public health measures remain in place, including mandatory mask-wearing.
“For the next two weeks we will continue to monitor the situation and if there are no additional
cases of the virus identified, we will be able to further ease restrictions,” Patterson stated.
COVID-19 testing will be offered at Cadet Hall, Monday to Friday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. until July 23.
The mobile testing van will also be available Monday to Saturday at different locations around Iqaluit until the end of the month.
Vaccination clinics continue across the territory, with youth between 12 and 17 years old eligible for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.
“I encourage everyone to continue following public health restrictions, wash your hands frequently [and] stay home when sick,” Patterson said.
Iqaluit Mayor Kenny Bell said people in the city have reason to celebrate, now that the outbreak is over.
“Thank you to everyone that helped get us here, but no one more than our healthcare providers,” he tweeted. “Excellent work everyone.”