Following the two latest recoveries, Nunavik has no active cases of COVID-19
Region’s health board says it remains vigilant
There are no remaining active cases of COVID-19 in Nunavik after the two latest recoveries in Puvirnituq.
The Nunavik Regional Board of Health and Social Services made the announcement in a Facebook post on Tuesday, May 5.
“The containment of the virus was made possible by the joint efforts of Puvirnituq Mayor Lucy Qalingo, the local emergency response team, Inuulitsivik Health Centre and public health teams,” the health board said in its statement.
Nunavik’s first case of COVID-19 was diagnosed in Salluit on March 29, followed by a second case, in Puvirnituq, on April 1.
Since then, Puvirnituq has been hit the hardest by the novel coronavirus with a total of 14 confirmed cases.
In seeing all of the region’s 16 cases recover, the board said collaboration and trust have been a major part of this success.
“Though the news of there being no active cases is great, it should be understood that social distancing, frequent hand-washing and all other preventive measures are still in place and should be respected,” the board stated.
“No lifting of any measures has been announced yet.”
Great news, but stay the course, remain vigilant is the right thing to do. Let’s wait for the next 12 test over 8 communities as announced on radio TNI yesterday in Nunavik, by Nunavik public health. Hopefully will be good news too. My concern is that these few cases of come and go, will lead to letting the guard down too soon. Not just relaxing as by the public health recommendations, but relaxing as by, a cry wolf, as interpreted by the general public to go about business as usual.