Kimmirut man charged in March RCMP shooting appears in Iqaluit court
Justice of the peace adjourns hearing of David Lyta, 22, until April 10
The Kimmirut man accused of shooting at the homes of two sleeping RCMP members March 18 will remain in custody at least until April 10.
David Lyta, 22, a slim, clean-shaven young man with traces of teenaged acne, dressed in a blue sweatshirt, appeared for a show cause hearing at the Nunavut Court of Justice in Iqaluit March 30.
A bail hearing is often referred to as a “show cause” hearing, as the Crown attempts to persuade the court, or “show cause,” why someone, like Lyta, who has been charged with a crime should be detained in custody.
Sometimes the burden is shifted and the accused party, often through their lawyer, must show cause why they are entitled to release.
At the request of Lyta’s defence lawyer Norman Boose, Nunavut’s chief Justice of the Peace, Nicole Simka, adjourned Lyta’s show cause hearing to Tuesday, April 10.
Boose had previously asked for an adjournment on March 23 to prepare his defence for Lyta.
A non-publication ban prevents more information from being said about what was discussed during the hour-long session.
Lyta faces two counts of recklessly discharging a firearm, contrary to Sect. 244.2 of the Criminal Code, in relation to a shooting incident against RCMP in Kimmirut, south of Iqaluit, on March 18.
If convicted, Lyta faces a mandatory minimum sentence of four years in prison.
Two days after the shooting incident in Kimmirut, an Igloolik man died after a March 20 confrontation with a Nunavut RCMP member.
The RCMP has since handed the investigation of the March 20 shooting to the Ottawa Police Service and the RCMP’s G Division in the Northwest Territories.
The investigators have left Igloolik, but have not yet issued a report on their findings, the Ottawa Police Service said March 30.