At last – a new cemetery

By NUNATSIAQ NEWS

Iqaluit city council approved a new cemetery site this past Tuesday, in an area that lies just below the Telesat Canada satellite dish.

Iqaluit’s current graveyard is almost full, with space for no more than four burial plots.

The first phase of the cemetery project will create 40 new burial plots at the new site, said Mark Hall, the city’s director of public works. Three more phases will follow.

Until late last month, the city was ready to go ahead with another site in the West 40 that would have straddled the old U.S air force runway.

But Deputy Mayor Glenn Williams said that site is “unacceptable” and is susceptible to flooding. At a special council meeting on May 30, he and Coun. Nancy Gillis put forward a notice of motion to have the decision reconsidered.

Share This Story

(0) Comments