Hectic holidays in Pang
Between Christmas and New Years booze brought its share of woes – and arrests – to inebriated Pangnirtung residents.
On Dec. 24 the RCMP arrested the following men and charged them with alcohol-related offences:
• David Uniukshagak, 47, spousal assault and impaired driving;
• Jonathan Kilabuk, 23, spousal assault and breach of probation;
• Nabeela Kakee, 20, assaulting a police officer and obstructing a police officer;
• Stevie Karpik, 45, spousal assault;
• Terry Evic, 19, impaired driving.
On Jan. 1, shortly after midnight, RCMP received a complaint of an impaired driver, and, as a result, officers arrested and charged Tim Dialla, 51, with impaired driving. Dialla was also charged with assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest, counselling an indictable offence and uttering threats.
Also on Jan. 1, RCMP arrested Matthew Okpik, 18, for being intoxicated in a public place, escaping custody and resisting arrest.
Those arrested will appear in court on Jan. 30.
Const. Ed Anderson attributed the “explosion” of alcohol-related offenses to residents bringing holiday booze into the dry community. Without complaints, he said police don’t have the right to search and seize personal bags or mail even if they contain alcohol.