Infrastructure deal renewed
Quebec and the Kativik Regional Government officially signed the Isurruutiit program in Montreal last week.
The $65-million attached to this program is divided into three sections — $31 million for infrastructure, $13 million for new buildings and $21 for rolling stock. During the next five years, Isurruutiit will cover projects for:
* supply and distribution of drinking water;
* collection and treatment of waste water;
* collection and disposal of solid waste;
* improvement and maintenance of roadways; and,
* maintenance, repair and storage of municipal equipment.
The funding is a renewal of the existing Isurruutiit program, which provided $45 million in municipal infrastructure between 2001-2005. This program was to end on Dec. 31.
This year, Isurruutiit paid for continuing work on water lagoons or waste water systems in nine communities.