Kangiqsujuaq put on ‘red alert’
Community had 12 active COVID-19 cases on Thursday, says Nunavik Regional Board of Health and Social Services
Kangiqsujuaq is the seventh Nunavik community to be put on “red alert” for COVID-19, following a Friday announcement from the Nunavik Regional Board of Health and Social Services.
The community, which has a population of around 600, reported four new cases on Thursday from the previous day, for a total of 12 active cases.
Under the new restrictions, gatherings are prohibited and only essential services remain open.
“There is a complete shutdown [of] all non-essential public places such as the youth house, community centre, church, arena, etc.,” the board posted on Facebook. “All non-essential activities are cancelled.”
The other Nunavik communities currently on “red alert” include Ivujivik, Kangiqsualujjuaq, Kuujjuaq, Puvirnituq, Salluit and Tasiujaq. The rest of the region is under “orange-plus” restrictions in line with the province, with most non-essential services closed, and only essential gatherings and visits permitted.
Active cases across the region remain high. The health board reported 49 new cases and an active total of 349. There were also 61 recoveries.
Puvirnituq reported the highest count with eight new cases on Thursday and a total of 107 active cases. Kangiqsualujjuaq had the second highest, reporting 21 new cases and an active total of 89. Umiujaq was the only community to not report any active cases.
Community breakdown for Jan. 13:
- Akulivik: 1 active case
- Aupaluk: 3 active cases, including 1 new case
- Inukjuak: 2 active cases, including 1 new case
- Ivujivik: 17 active cases
- Kangiqsualujjuaq: 89 active cases, including 21 new cases
- Kangiqsujuaq: 12 active cases, including 4 new cases
- Kangirsuk: 3 new cases, including 2 new cases
- Kuujjuaq: 44 active cases, including 6 new cases
- Kuujjuarapik: 4 active cases
- Puvirnituq: 107 active cases, including 8 new cases
- Quaqtaq: 3 active cases
- Salluit: 24 active cases, including 1 new case
- Tasiujaq: 40 active cases, including 5 new cases
- Umiujaq: no active cases