Two more Nunavik residents outside the region have tested positive for COVID-19, the regional health board says. (File image)

Two Nunavik residents in south test positive for COVID-19

They will not return to Nunavik until they “no longer presents a risk of spreading the virus”

By Jane George

Updated, Oct. 11, 7:30 a.m.

The Nunavik Regional Board of Health and Social Services says two more residents of the region have tested positive for COVID-19, but they have not come into contact with people who are now in Nunavik.

“The NRBHSS has been informed that a resident of Nunavik, currently outside the region, has tested positive for COVID-19. The individual will not return to Nunavik until he/she no longer presents a risk of spreading the virus,” the health board said in its first online announcement Thursday, Oct. 8.

“All significant contacts of the aforementioned individual in the south have been reached and put into isolation. This person has not had any significant contact with people who are currently in Nunavik.”

The health board did not indicate where the individual was staying, but said that Nunavik’s Montreal-based patient residence, Ullivik, “remains a safe location for travellers seeking medical care in Montreal.”

And then, again, on Saturday,  Oct. 10 the health board said in a second online announcement that “another resident of Nunavik, currently outside the region, has tested positive for COVID-19.”

The online notice said the individual is in isolation and would not return to Nunavik “until he/she no longer presents a risk of spreading the virus.”

Again, the health board said all significant contacts had been reached and put into isolation and that there had not been “any significant contact with people who are currently in Nunavik.”

On Wednesday, Sept. 30, health officials announced that a Nunavik resident had tested positive for COVID-19 while staying outside the region.

The health board did not indicate where that individual was staying either, but repeated that Ullivik, “remains a safe location for travellers seeking medical care in Montreal.”

Nunavik public health officials say there have been no further cases of COVID-19 in Kuujjuaraapik, where one case was confirmed on Sept. 22.

That individual was also infected in the south and then came into contact with a small group of people upon their return north.

 

 

Share This Story

(0) Comments

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*