Nunavik to update local COVID-19 restrictions following provincial announcement
Health minister Christian Dubé announced the closure of bars, gyms, schools and entertainment venues
The Nunavik Regional Board of Health and Social Services will “inform the public as soon as possible” about how the region will be adapting to new provincial COVID-19 restrictions, says spokesperson Josee Levesque.
On Monday, Quebec Health Minister Christian Dubé announced the province was implementing several new measures to combat rising COVID-19 case numbers and the spread of the Omicron variant. The measures included the closure of bars, gyms, entertainment venues and schools. Teleworking has been made mandatory, and restaurants are only allowed to stay open from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.
“With the increase of cases and hospitalizations, we must put in place new measures,” Dubé said during a virtual press conference Monday afternoon.
Levesque said she could not say right away how Nunavik’s health board will adapt to Quebec’s restrictions, which came into effect at 5 p.m. on Monday.
Earlier on Monday, Nunavik’s health board posted a series of restrictions based on a provincial announcement from last week. However, this morning’s restriction list was posted before Dubé’s announcement that the province was imposing stricter measures.
“When it’s announced by the government, it takes a day or two for us to adapt the measures to the region, prepare the communication and share with the public,” Levesque said in an email. “We need to analyze what is applicable to us and will inform the public as soon as possible.”
On Monday, the board announced it was investigating three new COVID-19 cases in Kangiqsualujjuaq. The individuals are in isolation, but the board is working to identify potential close contacts.