Nunavut warns travel bubbles with N.W.T. and Manitoba could close
“The second wave of COVID-19 in Canada is making the situation unpredictable”
Some Nunavut residents travelling outside the territory could face unexpected delays when returning home if the spread of COVID-19 continues.
The Northwest Territories and Churchill, Manitoba, are currently considered common travel areas or “bubbles,” in which Nunavut residents are able to travel to and from without a 14-day isolation period.
But “this could change at any time if transmission of COVID-19 is confirmed in any of the common travel area jurisdictions,” Nunavut’s Department of Health warned in a statement issued on Monday, Oct. 20.
“The Department of Health would like to remind all Nunavummiut that travel out of Nunavut is not recommended. The second wave of COVID-19 in Canada is making the situation unpredictable.”
Last week the N.W.T. announced three new presumptive positive cases of COVID-19, one in Inuvik and two in Yellowknife.
These were travel related.
If these or other cases expand to the community, travel could be restricted “without notice” and travel back to Nunavut might be delayed, the department said.
“Travellers could also be subject to 14 days of isolation before being allowed entry to Nunavut.”
The department said that entry into the isolation sites in Edmonton, Winnipeg and Ottawa could also be delayed if there are no rooms available.
Priority would also be given to medical travellers, the department said.