Papal Primer: Pope Francis visits Iqaluit today
Things to watch for during Pope Francis’ visit to Nunavut’s capital Friday
Pope Francis is scheduled to arrive in Iqaluit on Friday at around 3 p.m.
It’s the final day of his six-day visit to Canada that began Sunday in Edmonton and moved to Quebec City on Wednesday. He calls it his “pilgrimage of penance.”
On Monday, Francis said he was “deeply sorry” for the abuse some members of the Roman Catholic Church committed while working in Canada’s residential school system.
On Wednesday, he called the federal policy to separate Indigenous children from their cultures, languages, families and communities a “deplorable system” and requested forgiveness.
As the leader of more than one billion Catholics around the world heads to Iqaluit, here’s what you need to know about the papal visit:
Name: Jorge Mario Bergoglio; he took the name Francis when he became Pope
Born: Dec. 17, 1936
From: Buenos Aires, Argentina
2013: Elected Pope, takes name Francis
2: Popes who have visited Canada
2002: Last papal visit to Canada by John Paul II, who also visited in 1984 and 1987. His 1987 trip included a stop in Fort Simpson, NWT.
Aircraft — Francis has travelled aboard a blue ITA Airways (Italy’s state-owned airline) Airbus A300.
Popemobile and Fiat 500X — Iqalummiut shouldn’t expect to see the Popemobile — the white customized Jeep Wrangler with the bubble dome on the back — or the Fiat 500X compact car Francis has used to travel short distances. The Pope will use a “similarly modest vehicle” to travel from the Iqaluit airport to Nakasuk Elementary School, organizers say.
Schedule – Friday, July 29, 2022
(all times eastern)
- 9 a.m., Quebec — Private meeting with the members of the Society of Jesus at Archbishop’s Residence, Quebec City, Quebec
- 10:45 a.m. — Meeting with a delegation of Indigenous peoples from Eastern Canada, Archbishop’s Residence, Quebec City, Quebec
- 12:45 p.m. — Departure of Pope Francis from Quebec City
- 3:50 p.m. — Arrival of Pope Francis in Iqaluit
- 4:15 p.m. — Private meeting with former residential school students at Nakasuk school
- 5 p.m. — Public event in front of Nakasuk school
- 6 p.m. — Community feast in front of Nakasuk school
- 6:15 p.m. Farewell ceremony / departure of Pope Francis from Canada
- Iqaluit weather forecast for Friday afternoon: 14 C and cloudy.