Police investigate Baker Lake fire

Firefighters called to blaze at Magnetic Observatory on Tuesday

Baker Lake RCMP and firefighters responded to a fire at the community’s Magnetic Observatory on Tuesday. (Photo courtesy of Natural Resources Canada)

By Nunatsiaq News

Nunavut police are investigating a fire in Baker Lake.

Baker Lake RCMP and firefighters responded to a fire at the community’s Magnetic Observatory on Tuesday, the RCMP said in a Wednesday news release.

The fire department was able to extinguish the fire, although police did not indicate the extent of the damage to the building.

The Magnetic Observatory is a small building managed by Natural Resources Canada, used to monitor and gauge geomagnetic fields in the region.

The fire is now under investigation by both RCMP and Nunavut’s Fire Marshal’s Office.

Police are asking anyone in the community who may have witnessed the fire or have any information about the incident to contact their local RCMP detachment at 867-793-0123.

Baker Lake residents can also send tips anonymously by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or by submitting a tip online at www.nwtnutips.com.

Share This Story

(4) Comments:

  1. Posted by Inuk on

    Probably old electrical that started the fire, no one really goes around that building

    • Posted by Silas on

      Once it starts to warm up there are young people who hang around there all summer long. Especially at this time of year when the daylight is getting longer. They’re around the old seismic station the Magnetic Observatory and Kinga’tuaq after school hours.
      After this fire there are none in the area.

  2. Posted by Charge the parents on

    Parents of kids who do these acts need to start being charged. Bad parenting is bad parenting. Can’t parent?> don’t have kids.

    • Posted by Charging on

      I agree with you 100%. Exactly the same here in Arviat. 2-3 at night 4-5 yr old kids walking around. No wonder majority of the teenagers start taking drugs.

Comments are closed.