What’s open and what’s not at the Government of Nunavut
Offices close Dec. 24 to Jan. 1 but many are on call for emergencies
For one week, from Dec. 24 to Jan 1, all Government of Nunavut offices will be closed.
During this holiday closure period, the following services will still be available:
Community and Government Services:
The following CGS divisions will be available for emergencies 24 hours a day:
• Safety Services Division: Office of the Fire Marshal, chief electrical inspector, chief building inspector and chief boiler inspector at 1-867-222-0132.
• Facilities Management Division at 1-867-979-5650.
• Emergency Management Office at 1-800-693-1666 (toll free).
• Procurement Division at 1-867-222-0221.
Environment: To report any spills, call the 24-hour Spill Report Line at 1-867-920-8130. To report wildlife issues (polar bear sightings, fox in communities, etc.), call the emergency call-out line at 1-867-975-7780.
Family Services: Emergency coverage involving child welfare matters will be provided. Contact information for all community social services workers is available here.
• Liquor permits will be available for purchase at the Cambridge Bay and Kugluktuk offices, but check with them for holiday business hours. Licensee and community orders will not be processed from the Iqaluit and Rankin Inlet warehouses, and no import permits will be issued at the Iqaluit and Rankin Inlet permit offices during the holiday closure period.
• Business hours will be reduced at the Iqaluit beer and wine store. On Dec. 27, Dec. 28 and Dec. 29, the store will be open from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m., and on Dec. 31, from 12 to 4 p.m. The store will be closed Dec. 25, Dec. 26 and Jan. 1.
Health: Urgent health care services will continue to be available during the holidays. A complete list of health facility contact information is available on the Department of Health website.
• Corrections: All correctional facilities in Nunavut will be open throughout the holidays. Community corrections regional supervisors will be on standby to handle breaches and any other issues.
They can be contacted at:
1-867-982-2556 (Kitikmeot Region)
1-867-645-6779 (Kivalliq Region)
1-867-975-1616 (South Baffin Region)
1-867-899-1380 (North Baffin Region)
• Community Justice: Emergency Protection Orders will be available throughout the holidays. Personnel on-call can be contacted at 1-844-534-1038.
• Courts: If there is an urgent matter for the Nunavut Court of Justice, contact the manager of court operations at 1-867-222-0029. The court registry will only be open for electronic filing at [email protected] or [email protected].
Documents received during the holiday closure period will be filed at the time of receipt. For questions about registry filings, please refer to the court services contact list available here.
Legal Registries: The legal registries office will remain open for registration of corporations, commercial documents, personal property, securities brokers and issuers, and land titles. More information is available here.
Nunavut Housing Corp.: For staff housing issues, staff on standby in their respective regions can be contacted at:
For public housing issues, staff on standby in their respective regions can be contacted at:
All GN offices will reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2019, for regular business.
The GN is also giving a safe holiday present to people in Iqaluit, Rankin Inlet and Cambridge Bay: the Nunavut Liquor and Cannabis Commission will pass out taxi coupons in these three communities during the holiday season.
Look for these at licensed establishments, special events and RCMP check stops.
Nunavut Arctic College will be open on December 24.