What’s open and what’s not over the holidays
Beer and wine store in Iqaluit goes on reduced hours
If you need to contact a Government of Nunavut office over the holidays, remember that all territorial offices will be closed from Dec. 24 to Jan. 1.
During this holiday closure period, many services will be reduced and some will stop entirely for a week, according to a GN news release.
Business hours will be reduced at the Iqaluit beer and wine store.
On Dec. 23, Dec. 27 and Dec. 28, the store will open from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m., and on Dec. 24 and Dec. 31, the store will open from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
The store will be closed on Dec. 25, Dec. 26 and Jan. 1.
Liquor import permits will be available for purchase at the Iqaluit beer and wine store on Dec. 23, Dec. 27 and Dec. 28 from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
But licensee and community orders will not be processed from Dec. 24 to Jan. 1.
The following services at the GN will be available over the holidays:
Department of Health:
- Qikiqtani General Hospital
- Rapid Access Clinic (walk-in clinic) at the QGH is open Dec. 24, Dec. 27, Dec. 30 and Dec. 31
- Community health centres, where services will be reduced to emergency or urgent care, sick clinic, walk-in and appointments for at-risk clients
- Home care services
- Mental health services
- Public health services
- Laboratory services
- Diagnostic imaging services
- Medical travel
- Midwifery (on call)
- Cambridge Bay mental health facility
- Akausisarvik mental health facility in Iqaluit
- Boarding homes in Churchill, Edmonton, Iqaluit, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Yellowknife
Department of Family Services:
- Children and Family Services Division (on call)
- Income Assistance Division (on call)
- Career Development/Financial Assistance for Nunavut Students Division (on call)
Department of Community and Government Services:
- Safety Services Division emergency number (Office of the Fire Marshal, chief electrical inspector, chief building inspector and chief boiler inspector) (867-222-0132 or 867-222-1214)
- Facilities Management Division, CGS maintenance in Iqaluit (867-979-5650).
- Emergency Management Office (867-979-6262 or 1-800-693-1666).
- For more contact information go holiday services at https://www.gov.nu.ca/cgs
Department of Economic Development and Transportation:
- Nunavut airports
- The Unikkaarvik Visitor’s Centre in Iqaluit (Baffin Regional Visitor Information Centre) will be closed on Dec. 25 and Jan. 1 only.
Department of Environment:
- Emergency spill services (867-222-0462)
- Emergency wildlife management (867-222-0167)
Department of Justice:
- Legal registries
- All correctional facilities
For Baffin Correctional Centre and Makigiarvik Correction Centre, call 403-470-3595 between Dec. 23 to Dec. 28 and 867-975-1616 from Dec. 28 to Jan. 2.
Rankin Inlet Healing Facility: 867-645-6674.
Kugluktuk Ilavut Centre: 867-982-2556.
For Uttaqivik Community Residential Centre, call 403-470-3595 from Dec. 23 to Dec. 28 and 867-975-1616 from Dec. 28 to Jan. 2
For the Nunavut Women’s Correctional Centre, call 403-470-3595 from Dec. 23 to Dec. 28 and 867-975-1616 from Dec. 28 to Jan. 2
For the Isumaqsunngittukkuvik Youth Facility, call 403-470-3595 from Dec. 23 to Dec. 28 and 867-975-1616 from Dec. 28 to Jan. 2
Nunavut Housing Corporation
- Emergency contact number, 867-222-1304. Do not send text messages.
More contact information can be found at: www.gov.nu.ca.
What’s open in Iqaluit
In Iqaluit, city offices will be closed for half a day on Dec. 24 and on Dec. 31, and closed for a full day on Dec. 25 and Dec. 26 as well as on Jan. 1.
In addition, trucked services may also be limited for some holiday hours.
Emergency trucked-service for water will be available, for a fee of $250, by contacting the non-emergency dispatch number at 979-5650.
While most Iqaluit residents on trucked water service will not be affected, households containing five or more people may wish to consider conserving water by reducing or deferring laundry and the use of dishwashers, a city news release said.
Regular office hours, as well as trucked services, will resume in Iqaluit on Jan. 2.
What’s open in Nunavik
In Nunavik, the Kativik Regional Government offices will be closed for the holiday season from Dec. 23 to Jan. 3 and will reopen on Monday, Jan. 6.