NEWS: Iqaluit September 10, 2018 - 1:20 pm

Nunavut seeks comments on Iqaluit’s beer and wine store

Government hopes “to reduce binge-drinking, combat bootlegging, and encourage responsible alcohol use”

NUNATSIAQ NEWS
Iqaluit residents line up at the city’s cold beer and wine store, which opened one year ago on Sept. 6. The Government of Nunavut is looking for feedback from the public on the pilot project. An online survey is available until Sept. 28 and a paper survey can also be filled out in person at the store. (FILE PHOTO)

The Government of Nunavut wants to hear your views on Iqaluit’s beer and wine store.

In time for the one-year anniversary of the store, the GN announced on Wednesday, Sept. 5 that it’s looking for feedback from Nunavummiut on the pilot project’s impact on the community.

Up until Sept. 28, anyone living in Nunavut over the age of 19 can share comments through an online survey, or on paper, in person at the Iqaluit beer and wine store, according to a news release.

This announcement comes a week after the purchase limits at the store were changed to be more flexible than they had been previously. Each person used to only be able to buy 12 cans or bottles of beer and two bottles of wine per day.

Now, each customer is allowed to choose between any of these options:

• 24 cans or bottles of beer and zero bottles of wine
• 18 cans or bottles of beer and one bottle of wine
• 12 cans or bottles of beer and two bottles of wine
• six cans or bottles of beer and three bottles of wine
• zero cans or bottles of beer and four bottles of wine

This survey takes about 10 to 15 minutes to fill out.

The government’s news release says it is looking for opinions from Nunavummiut over the age of 19, although the survey asks a few times if the respondent is over the age of 16.

Subjects include shopping patterns, drinking patterns, social impacts, the opening hours and feedback on the product selection.

The Government of Nunavut says all survey answers are kept confidential.

“The GN hopes to reduce binge-drinking, combat bootlegging, and encourage responsible alcohol use in Iqaluit, by offering alcoholic beverages with a lower alcohol-content, like beer and wine, at the store,” the news release states.

#1. Posted by Beneficiary on September 10, 2018

For the long line up…if i’m an elder.. can i cut in ?  to the front ?

#2. Posted by Observer on September 10, 2018

Just took the survey. You have to be 16yrs old to fill it out.

The new options are too much. There is no need to drink more than 12 cans of beer in 1 day, or to drink more than 2 bottles of wine. Put them back down. Iqaluit had its worst public drunkenness over the weekend.

#3. Posted by BOOZE HOUND on September 10, 2018

Since , they opened a beer store in this town , i no longer order booze from out of town.

#4. Posted by Japanese postcard on September 10, 2018

So under the current system, I have to:

•Leave work and travel to the liquor department’s office
•Take up the time of a GN employee to purchase a permit
•Waste time coordinating the purchase of alcohol from a southern city
•Send money out of Nunavut to a southern alcohol retailer
•Give money to an airline to ship the alcohol to Nunavut
•Waste time checking with the cargo office to see if the alcohol has arrived
•Waste time traveling to the cargo office to pick up the alcohol
•Incur the risk of damage, loss, and delay re: air cargo

In the end, I more or less get what I want (i.e. alcohol) but have to waste time, money, am subject to increased risk of delay and loss, and spend money outside of Nunavut. This system is ridiculous.

#5. Posted by Responsible drinker on September 10, 2018

Can’t have anything nice in this city. Too many losers ruining it for everyone else. I’m talking about the losers that walk down the street drinking their beer, clutching onto their bags. Pathetic. It’s the rcmp’s responsibility to be patrolling the streets and do something about those a-holes. Stop blaming the beer and wine store for these uneducated idiots making shitty decisions.

#6. Posted by The Old Trapper on September 10, 2018

#2 Observer, that’s a pretty narrow view of how people shop.

What about if I’m buying beer/wine for myself and my wife?
What about if I like red wine and the wife likes white wine, and we’re having friends over who only drink beer?
What if I don’t want to go to the beer & wine store every day?
Maybe our family is going fishing and camping for a week, should I have to plan a week ahead and go to the beer and wine store every day to get enough beer for a week’s worth of fishing?

Fishing is hard work and you have to make sure to keep hydrated!

There is a very good reason to drink more than 12 beer in a day, it’s called living in Iqaluit.

#7. Posted by North Yorkie on September 10, 2018

#4 You’re right, the whole system is too stupid for words. But hey, it’s a “Made in Nunavut” solution, did you expect it to make sense?

#8. Posted by # 5 RCMP on September 10, 2018

RCMP says that they did not find any increase in crime rate after the stores open in Iqaluit ??? so they are holding tight to there positions and earn northern allowance by saying no crime to please the politicians. no watch dogs anymore. enjoy your drunks on streets.

#9. Posted by Bert Rose on September 11, 2018

I just completed the GN survey.
At the end of section two I put my name and telephone number.
I am not afraid to stand up and state my beliefs publically.
I am not afraid to defend my beliefs.
I encourage others to do the same. Hiding behind annonimity is not appropriate when discussing Government decisions impacting on the communities of Nunavut.
I do NOT believe openning the beer and wine store was or is a good idea.

#10. Posted by Rert Bose on September 11, 2018

#9 Bert Rose we will make sure Her Majesty the Queen awards you with the highest of honours for your bravery and outstanding accomplishment ...

#11. Posted by Ernie & Burt on September 11, 2018

Yay for Burt!

#12. Posted by Duffman on September 12, 2018

A lot more public drunkenness that’s for sure, this year I’ve never seen so many drunk people stumbling around town.

#13. Posted by Greta on September 13, 2018

The city had a vote & the majority said ‘yes’ want a beer & wìne store. So doesn’t matter what anyone thinks because the store stays. Bootleggers and local bars can’t be too happy. And #9. Going get my 2-4 tomorrow:)

#14. Posted by Eye's and Ear's on September 13, 2018

I am so and so with this Beer and Wine Store BUT ,

I feel this was not so good and now see or hear a lot of little BS with some People Stagger around town ,

Anyone who has been acting stupid or arrested should be cut off from this Place for two weeks ,

see if they can grow up more actions you do more time you get not to buy Beer or Wine , oh and some people who Use the VHF Radio should be Banned as well, I need Bullets Polar bear in Apex Drunk damb ass , You Drunk become the talk of the Day and should Sleep your ass daytime .

Ear’s

#15. Posted by Paul Murphy on September 14, 2018

I support Bert Rose position on anonymity fully.  If you can’t stand up for your beliefs publicly than you get away with childish comments like those of # 6,7,10 and 11. And by the way have you seen some of the people staggering to their taxis or down the street with their little brown bag?  Some are drunk already.  Isn’t there a law about over serving? And what proof is there that the bootleggers are suffering? Did some one complete a survey with them?  Woe betide this hamlet and others when maryjane becomes legal. We don’t control it now or any of the other illegal drugs.  Boy those dealers are sure going to suffer. Note people the only people suffering in this hamlet are the children. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.