Health Department investigating death of Qikiqtarjuaq man
Few details released; department declines interview, won’t comment further
Nunavut’s Department of Health has confirmed it is investigating the death of a Qikiqtarjuaq man, but has released few other details.
Markosie Aulaqiaq died on Tuesday. He had been receiving medical care in Iqaluit since Sept. 5 and was scheduled to return home to Qikiqtarjuaq on Sept. 22, Health Minister John Main said in a news release Thursday.
The news release did not say how or where Aulaqiaq died.
“While I am unable to go into the specifics of Mr. Aulaqiaq’s medical history, I can say that the Department of Health is investigating the events leading to his death,” Main said in the release.
Health Department spokesperson Chris Puglia declined Nunatsiaq News’ request for an interview with Main.
“The minister has no further comment at this time,” Puglia said in an email.
“If the investigation discovers any gaps in Mr. Aulaqiaq’s care that contributed to his death, I assure Nunavummiut that the Department of Health will take immediate steps to correct the issue,” Main said.
Nunatsiaq News reached Aulaqiaq’s family but they were not immediately available for comment.
This is so sad to hear and I’ giving my condolences to the family.
Minister Main: Start your investigation in why he was allowed to fly on a milk run, ask why there was not enough oxygen, ask why concerns to keep him on the plane in CR were not considered.
Will it help the family now, not likely, but a little contribution towards closing and healing after loosing a family member. Fix what is broken and do not touch, what is not