Homicide investigators to return to Kinngait

RCMP seeks public’s help as it continues to investigate death of a 36-year-old woman

Ezeevadluk Suvega, 42, is facing a first-degree murder charge in relation to an Aug. 7 shelter-in-place incident in Kinngait, seen here in a file photo. (File photo)

By Miriam Lafontaine

Detectives with the Nunavut RCMP’s major crime unit will be returning to Kinngait next week as they continue their investigation into the homicide of a 36-year-old woman earlier this month. 

They’ll be stationed at the Kinngait RCMP Detachment on Monday, Aug. 24, a news release issued Thursday said.

On Friday, Aug. 7, police received reports of a shooting in the hamlet’s 5400 block. They arrived to find a man had barricaded himself inside a home. 

The incident prompted a shelter-in-place alert, one that remained in place until Saturday afternoon. An RCMP containment team and emergency response team from Ottawa assisted local officers in the arrest.

Police charged a 42-year-old man, Ezeevadluk Suvega of Kinngait, in connection with the homicide. He will remain in custody until his next scheduled court appearance on Sept. 15 in Iqaluit.

Cpl. Ashley Daley said the major crime unit is still looking to speak with those who witnessed the incident or have any information they believe could aid police. 

“I know the major crimes unit did speak to a bunch of people in Kinngait, but more people may have additional information, or information that was not relayed to them when they were in the community,” she said. 

People are welcome to visit or contact the detachment at its non-emergency number earlier than then if they have any information that could help investigators, Daley said.

The RCMP hasn’t released the name of the victim, citing respect for her family’s privacy. Police previously shared that she knew the accused.

Share This Story

(0) Comments

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*