Iqaluit dump to remain closed over weekend following fire earlier this week
Crews taking ‘risk mitigation steps’ to ensure no new flare-ups, according to city release
Iqaluit’s dump will remain closed over the weekend as firefighters continue to work to prevent another flare-up following a fire there Wednesday night.
The initial fire, focused on a hot spot about 4.5 metres by 4.5 metres in size, was extinguished after several hours.
However, the city’s fire response team is taking “risk mitigation steps” to prevent another one if any leftover embers remain active, said communications manager Aleksey Cameron in a news release late Friday afternoon.
A decision on when the dump can reopen could come Monday. In the meantime, Cameron said, the road to the deep sea port will also remain closed for public safety reasons.
So far, no cause of the fire has been announced.
However, in the release Cameron urged residents to separate old batteries from their household waste and drop them off instead at the landfill entrance, and to not dispose of lit cigarette butts near the dump.