Iqaluit mother shares her daughter’s “harsh reality” in high school

Inuit students can feel “uncomfortable and unwanted”

Our letter writer says that Inuit students suffer negative experiences at school in Iqaluit. (File photo)

By Nunatsiaq News

Note: This came to us from an Iqaluit mother whose daughter now attends college in the south. The mother explained that her daughter was left “hurt and angry” by her experience in high school. She said her daughter’s opinion may represent a “harsh reality,” but she wishes to share it with the public.

I asked my daughter, who does well academically, what her high school experience was like.

She related that, for her, high school was “actual hell.”

Between the staff and the students, the Inuit and non-Inuit, there is a divide.

This is what my daughter said.

She said she found herself “being judged based on cultural background, where Inuit did not ask to be put into these social situations and forced to adapt to a colonial lifestyle, where we are exposed to a world where you are automatically being pushed under that typical ‘Inuk’ stereotype.

“Alone and in school, they do not address that it is OK to be Inuk. Inuit are constantly treated lesser than their southern peers. These southern peers develop ideas and preconceived notions of Inuit being less human, less intelligent, less capable, and are ‘ghetto,’ and are told they will not get anywhere in life.

“Inuit culture is ‘embraced’ in schools with events that happen once in a long while.

“These kids are more exposed to and immersed in textbooks written by our colonizers, that speak of all of the Canadian government’s ill wishes towards our culture, and they are not exposed to an environment where, even though this history exists, they are allowed to succeed and thrive.

“The behaviour between southern students and Inuit ones is very ‘awkward,’ and there is a clear gap that needs to be mended.

“Nunavut is in a state of emergency, in the sense that more people from the south with racist and ignorant views, views which their children pick up as well are coming to work up in the North…

“It creates an environment where Inuit become uncomfortable and feel unwanted. They develop in this environment and that leads to feeling a lack of purpose in life further on.

“It is a disgusting environment for Inuit children and it needs to be completely changed in order for Nunavut to become a mentally healthier and positive place.”

(Name withheld by request)
Iqaluit

Email your letters to editor@nunatsiaq.com.

Nunatsiaq News welcomes letters to the editor. But we are under no obligation to publish any given letter at any given time.

In our print edition, we usually print letters on a first-come, first-served, space-available basis. In our online edition, we usually print letters as soon as we are able to prepare them for publication.

All letters are edited for length, grammar, punctuation, spelling, taste and libel. You may withhold your name by request, but we must know who you are before we publish your letter.

1. Posted by Colin on

Many Inuit parents and youth have said to me what this mother has written. The trouble is that not even this writer has addressed the question of what the purpose of education is for First Peoples and least of all by asking young people what they want.

When I was the advisor on education for an Ontario royal commission many years ago, we asked grassroots Indians in northern Ontario what they wanted of education for their children. They said almost universally that they wanted intensive southern education in parallel with native culture, and not merely one or the other. When asked whether delivery of both was possible, they also said almost universally that this was achievable. (They didn’t get what they asked for.)

Inuit youth need education that prepares young people to be the mine managers and geologists, research scientists and chartered accountants, doctors and dentists in their own land. That means intensive and effective instruction in calculus and chemistry in addition to traditional skills. Who writes the textbooks will remain irrelevant until an Inuk writes a better one for teaching Boyle’s Law.

• Posted by Unik on

Bravo!

2. Posted by Inuk on

My father has been teaching my youngest sibling how to fight because they have been bullied in and outside of school since junior high. My sibling is a stand up young person with a bright future ahead of them as they are excellent academically and involved in team sports. But is constantly being berated by a troubled child who social services can’t seem to take away from their family due that family having some “respected elders” who push to keep the troubled child with his/her irresponsible mother.

I am worried that this troubled child will one day bring a gun or a knife to school and target my sibling who is just trying to finish high school with the least amount of scars and get the hell out of dodge.

I am disappointed with the lack of action regarding bullying in the north. The principal barely reacted to my fathers pleas until he said he is training my sibling in combat fighting to prepare for the day we hope never comes.

I hate thinking that my sibling goes to an unsafe place every day, but they have to finish school. From my perspective, half white Inuks are bullied relentlessly as we get the side eyes from both outsiders and our own. Bullied for being Inuk, and bullied for being white. When will this hatred against one-another end? Will it ever end? I hope so, for my children’s sake, otherwise I’ll be moving my family away from Nunavut when they are old enough for school.

Nunavut has problems.

3. Posted by Interesting on

Interesting letter. This can be re-published once you flip the words Inuit and south(ern).
    I feel for your daughter, but ask you if you actually have ever been in a life class to witness what’s going on?

4. Posted by Agree on

This is very true for some teachers I had when I was in school.
    However, most of my teachers were inclusive to all of us.
    We had a couple of non-Inuit classmates each year, a few teachers during those years were more attentive to those students while us Inuit were treating like we’re less likely to comprehend.
    On the other hand, most of my teachers treated me the same as non-Inuit as I was usually had the top marks in class.

5. Posted by Concerned Inuk on

The effects of colonization are true, very broadly speaking, but it’s also true that the southerners in Iqaluit, to a very large degree, are the people who wouldn’t get the same job in the south that their able to get in the north. Many of them are also bigoted and backwards. These are the parents of the students who show their kids to treat Inuit like dirt at the Iqaluit high school!

6. Posted by old woman on

This has been going on for years and not just at school. In the late 90’s/ early 2000’s there was a massive influx of new people from the south as Nunavut ramped up. They were brought to Nunavut and all put in new housing in the same area. They had all the solutions and all the complaints. It was too expensive to live, roads were full of pot holes, etc. No one did any research about where they were going, just saw higher wages (and never stopped to think wages were higher because costs were). These newcomers treated everyone Inuit and long term residents like something on the sole of their shoe. Their needs to be training for people coming in to take a job, and hopefully some of that will get passed on to their children.
    If you were moving to Japan or France or even Toronto, you would not expect the place that you are moving to will accommodate you and change to suit your needs. So why should people have that expectation moving to the Arctic?
    The Inuit culture is Nunavut and that should be a factor in your decision to move to Nunavut, a very positive one.

• Posted by Yaz on

I agree with your comment, esp on if you were applying to a job in France or another country, wouldn’t you learn about it before applying or accepting the job. As well as being trained by who hired you, to ensure participation and acceptance into the community.

• Posted by David on

Sorry, that just isn’t realistic today and can’t happen,

There is a Canada wide teacher shortage and no body feels it more than the north……. and the truth is, Nunavut feels it more than any other jurisdiction. Nunavut is desperate today and will hire anyone qualified (and a lot that aren’t). That’s today’s reality.

You have a degree and still breathing….. you’re hired. There will never be training or conditions added in today’s job market and the truth is, it’ll likely get worse for Nunavut before it gets better.

7. Posted by Steven on

I have seen enough, witnessed enough and heard enough of southern students and or immigrant students taking away all benefits and scholarships from Inuit. All immigrants come with strong educational background with foundation. Our Inuit kids on the other hand is just opposite in all aspects.
    Immigrants gets bread, butter and jam while studying at Nunavut. Scholarships, awarded funds, FANS loans, reserved seats in universities etc etc. Poor Inuit can’t cope with this competition at school as they always top in the class and take away the rewards, which was intended for Inuit improvement s.
    The problem is teachers are burnt out and they focus all attension with premeditated minds to non Inuit students and this cycle continues, however hard u try. Inuit need to buckle up and fight for there rights ,

8. Posted by Sulijuq on

I always felt Iqaluit High School was like that. The Kabluunaq’s or Inuit that have influence in politics or Government kids seem to get more recognition for awards and trips. I remember my son who is Inuk would pleasantly say ,”Good Morning ,how are you?” to his teacher. He said the teacher never acknowledge him at all or even smile at him. With white kids the teacher was acted differently. I hope the teachers attitudes have changed.

9. Posted by QUALITY OF EDUCATION TAUGHT in NUNAVUT SCHOOL’s! on

The quality of Education taught in SCHOOL’s across Nunavut Territory is hilarious; you’ll notice TEACHER’s (HIGH-SCHOOL) or (ELEMENTARY) providing curriculum programs in CLASSES that are NOT relevant to QUALITY of EDUCATION taught compared to SOUTHERN standards, which are more basically oriented to ADVANCE preparation in COLLEGE or UNIVERSITY program’s but certainly NOT NUNAVUT. This is reality, unless changes are made in Regional OFFICE’s in EXECUTIVE’s Administration i.e. Kivalliq, Kitikmeot or Baffin region. Otherwise pretext Quality of EDUCATION taught in SCHOOL’s will continue on under the NOSE of three REGIONAL OFFICE’s in Nunavut. SUGGESTION’s or SOLUTION’s!?!

• Posted by Bert Rose on

And how many PhD have come out from your high school?

10. Posted by Putuguk on

You can ask any random person who went through high school anywhere and they would say it was like hell!

Be that as it may, Racism and prejudice is rampant up here.

This is hardly shocking given we are living in an purpose built ethnic enclave and the known psychological underpinnings of racism. Be that fear, the need to belong, projecting problems on others, and emotional incompetence.

The formation of Iqaluit is almost tailor made for those factors to manifest themselves.

What is lacking is the path forward. As much as we acknowledge and accept, that is not itself a solution. To say it and then not address it leaves it as a festering wound.

Experiencing racism cannot merely be an excuse to be racist in return.

Almost 20 years after our territory was formed, we are no closer to working this out. Decolonization is a en vogue catchword, but meaningless to every day life; would rubbing our Queen’s face off my cash help?

We must instead increase security for everybody, include everybody, own our problems, and gain intellectual maturity. This when Inuit believe Nunavut is for us, and Non-Inuit are brought in specifically to do things we cannot or will not do.

If we do this, racism and prejudice will decline.

11. Posted by went to Inuksuk High on

just in the ’90’s……..we were all separated by race.

all whites in one class, all inuit in one class and one mixed class (half breeds)

our Inuk class was the “garbage” class. at least that was how we were made to feel.
    in turn, the “best” class (all white) learned we (inuit) were third class citizens.
    the schools taught that behaviour.

luckily, that cycle was broken. not completely as there are still cases we hear about.

12. Posted by Please Don’t Characterize One Race on

The news story saddens me a great deal, especially since I know many “southern” educators who care very deeply for their students and who work very hard to be inclusive. The generalization that everyone from the south is a bigot, backward and slightly more competent than a rock is also hurtful and disparaging. The poster is reversing what is wrong and applying universal blame against anyone who comes from the south. It is very unfortunate that this young woman had a bad high school experience. Like one of the posters suggested most of us suffered through high school. and could not wait until it was over.

• Posted by Also went to IHS on

I have to agree. Also went to IHS, and I’m not white or Inuit. People forget about the countless students of Filipino, African, etc. immigrants. My friends were of all races, and I saw people being bullied on all sides. “Southerners” who grew up in Iqaluit their whole lives being told to “go home”. Well the truth is they don’t leave because they’re racist, they leave because they are tired of trying to fit into a place where they are always treated as an outsider. Even if they consider it home. Same happened to me. Yes, there were SOME racist white teachers (p.s. they didn’t like black kids either), but also SOME racist Inuit teachers who would exclude white/black/Asian students from participating in cultural activities (that would have probably made other Inuit students see us less as our “racist parents” and more as ourselves). I learned Inuktitut for years but they kept teaching me the same thing over and over again assuming I could never comprehend the language and their culture (no matter how hard I tried, I was always an outsider or “new” despite always living here). Not to mention I feel I was raised with very little racist ideas about Inuit as my parents/myself also experienced racism as a black family. We have very little complaints about Iqaluit and “did our research” when we moved here. But high school was still hell for me and my siblings. My parents still live up north and have a house, but idk if I’m going to go back. Been in a different place for only about a year of my life but people are more welcoming to me than in all my years of being in Iqaluit (my whole life). And when it comes to FANS, beneficiaries get full aid, while non-beneficiaries (aka white people, black people, Asian students) do not. We’re not taking anyone’s money away by taking the scholarships we have a right to get by living here a certain amount of time. If people don’t like us getting scholarships, than exclude us from the laws and continue to act like we don’t exist, aren’t at home here and don’t belong. I’d say a large percentage of Inuit Nunavummiut don’t want a multicultural territory and the rationale for this is colonization. Well, not everyone colonized Nunavut or is racist towards Inuit. So if you want a territory that is racially, ethnically, culturally, and pretty much genetically homogeneous, I have to be honest and say: that’s racist. The only other group I can think of with similar goals off the top of my head are the KKK. I’m happy I’m out of IHS, and I’m sure other non-Inuit kids who “stole” opportunities are as well. We already leave in droves because of the hate we get at that school and elsewhere no matter how hard we try to integrate and make friends.

• Posted by inuk on

sorry you had to grow up the way you did. Lots of kids grew up feeling like an outsider even in their own community. It all comes from the people that had to deal with colonialization the inuit had to deal with. It is sometimes carried on to the next generation. no child learns rasism unless if it was passed on to their chilfren. we have to break that cycle. it seems like it’s not their falt just like the white people’s kids learned rasism from their parents. sirnaqtunik tusaqatarmata surusiit angajuqqaangit sirnaqtillugit no matter what race they came from. when we were going up our parents would never talk about stuff that kids shouln’t hear or when the parents complain about what their kids are going through. kids never used to hear any adult stuff because they’re kids. they were spoken to in a kids manner. now the parents talk about anything and everyhting around the children that the kids shouldn’t even hear about. it is sad. kids learn from parents to be racist. they would get along with any race if they didn’t learn it from anywhere but at home. it’s both, the inuit and the other race, religion that did this to their children, not just inuit or what you call qallunaqs (other ethnicity). it’s better to forgive each other than to try to be dominating over people, the righteous one or the correct one. don’t be the one to keep the rasism cycle going on. lets get over this and move on to better things and thinking better ways. thank you

13. Posted by Jonathan Cruz on

UPPER CASE
    HOME BASE
    CMPND
    COMPOUND
    FLAGSHIP
    UPPER BASE

Adawe

Collective
    Under one roof
    Bring everyone together

Reversible custom made anorak.
    I remember one time an ex-girlfriend told me that “ this person is lesser than you”. I remember how it made me feel- confused, angry and unwanted. I didn’t understand this concept because I was taught everyone was created equal. I really feel sorry for the people saying these things because it’s only a direct reflection of themselves and their parents. This IS a direct result of colonization. To all the kids who have felt this – YOU are NOT lesser , YOU are powerful beyond belief! And… To the people saying these things, hide behind your screens, spread rumours and do all the easy things that can make you popular. You know you are and I hope you read this. #itallstartsathome #getwoke

14. Posted by Jonathan Cruz on

15. Posted by Wow on

I love the notion that all these racist southerners are coming here to be racist. Firstly racist don’t usually run to a place where there is high concentration of the race the don’t like. Secondly you can be racist without having to leave home and your family to live in the arctic

16. Posted by Concerned Parent on

When my son entered Inuksuk High School I had the principal put him in the academic stream. My son was bright and able to do the work, but he did not like school any more.

None of his friends from grade school or middle school were in his class. His classmates did not bully him. They did not hit him. They just ignored him.

By Christmas my son had had enough. He wanted to be with his friends. We discussed the situation with the Principal. He said that my son being ignored by the other students in his class was understandable, “They had all been together in one class since Kindergarten.”

My son spoke English fluently, but he had been in the Inuktitut stream.

My son had a choice, isolation in an academic program, or boredom with friends. He chose boredom with friends.

He could have been pursuing a university degree in science or law today. But he’s not. He used to be interested in both.

I fear he may end up as another Inuk asking for spare change outside Northmart.

I don’t blame anyone in the High School. I do blame the streaming system imposed by the department of education.

• Posted by Curious to know on

Interesting comment, how would you suggest things be changed? I would be less apt to blame the department, myself, and more apt to look at how schools socialize (or don’t) cohorts of students.

17. Posted by Nap on

one earth, all races are the same human function as the next race. one love, one lifetime, enjoy it, complain, cry, scream, smile, frown, either expression, I am growing at this very moment you are reading, yes, I am growing, you are growing, so human, such a human to be human. live, laugh, love, hate, cry, scream, smile, emotions, I have emotions just I do, just as you do, get along people, stop the border of creating borders, on how or where a person belongs, I am here just you are here, human was made, to live, live people, that’s all, live. help yourself, help others, live, its beautiful to get along and not to get along but its living, just live, life goes on in goods and in bad, just keep on living, thank you! you’re welcome, I am sorry, no you owe me an apology, move on, I am living life, I am not an invention of a console game box, I am living, I am sorry, life goes on, one day, I will die just as you will too, live people, keep on going, eat, release your food, eat some more, get some sleep, grow

18. Posted by Born and Raised in Nunavut on

I started Kindergarten as the only qallunaaq. Sat alone and non of the kids wanted to be my friend. All my life I have heard things like go back home, go back to where I was born. I was born in Iqaluit as kids are not birthed in the communities.
    Its easy to point the finger at other races and call them racist, but when you point your finger, the other 3 fingers are on your hand are pointing back at you.
    High school was a joke and a nightmare. I was teased and picked on, called names for my white skin, blue eyes and light hair. I feel what this poor girl felt, but from the other side being white and never being able to fit in.

19. Posted by Yep, attai! on

Someone should take a picture of academic, general, and what ever the other streams are now called in the classes ….that picture should say a lot.

20. Posted by Re Read on

Re-read the article. This is more or less highlighting the Inuit culture being undervalued within the high school. I don’t think the young student meant to highlight individual racism, but how she saw the disparity of other cultures being predominant over the culture of the Inuit. The majority of the students are Inuit but the predominant or prevalent mindset within the school is of the westernized Canadian culture. There are some Inuit language specialists in the school and some Inuit culture programs, but it’s not sufficient to immerse them completely.

21. Posted by Rob M Adams on

The mother writes: “These [Inuk] kids are … immersed in textbooks written by our colonizers, that speak of all of the Canadian government’s ill wishes towards our culture, and they are not exposed to an environment where … they are allowed to succeed and thrive.”

There are high school text books in Nunavut, prescribed by the Nunavut department of education, that speak of all the Canadian government’s ill wished toward [the Inuit] culture? I’d like to see one of those textbooks!

The mother writes: “Inuk students are not exposed to an environment where … they are allowed to succeed and thrive.” At home? At elementary and high school in any Nunavut community? In southern schools and colleges? At the Northmart?

22. Posted by Anon daughter on

As the anon daughter, the reason for this being submitted is mainly to get conversations about this topic going, I lost a family member to suicide, after looking through this family member’s schoolwork for any signs of suicidal thoughts/any notes they would have left behind, we read very depressing content provided by the teachers. I did not include this in the article my mother submitted, I am incredibly busy with college, but there are many red flags within the content being taught to these students. The work they were going through in the classroom was all depressing, about death, suicide, and very deep/saddening content. All of the work given to students by these teachets was nothing but negative. None were concluded with any positive resolve, none of the short stories picked out by these teachers had any evidence of positivity within any school work. On top of this, they had begun teaching about residential schools, and the hardships Inuit have been through. Inuit need a positive environment to grow in order to learn how to build better lives for themselves, but there cannot be growth if teachers are choosing the depressing content to drill into these children’s minds. It is very hard to be immersed in such a toxic environment, Especially around the age where you are trying to discover more about your future. Feeling like you do not have a future is very hard on you.

I continue to work hard in college to prove these people wrong, or to at least get this stuff known enough for teachers to find more positive stories and content for these kids to learn, and to really push a more positive environment for kids in pain and dealing with mental illness, it is not healthy to be immersed in an unnecessary amount negativity.

• Posted by Remember the the TRC calls to action? on

While I empathize with your loss and recognize how difficult that would be for you and that person’s family and close friends, I must comment on your conclusion that the teacher’s decision to use material made by “colonizers” that includes depressing historical events such as the residential school era is actually a textbook that is new and designed in part with indigenous groups. This is because one of the calls to action from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission was that this material must be taught in high schools across Canada. This is directly from indigenous groups – survivors of residential schools. Previously that material was not covered.

• Posted by Thanks for speaking out on

Thank you for speaking out, as it is so important to hear the voices of the youth. I think there is a huge difference between teaching the history of colonization (in English and focused on Western government processes), and teaching actual Inuit culture and language (which would be in Inuktitut and focused on Inuit legends, literature, music, spirituality, and food, for example). It seems that the public schools, like the residential schools before them, are not teaching Inuit culture and language.

It seems that multiculturalism and public schools, are the latest versions of assimilation and residential schools.

But there is still time to turn things around in Nunavut. Greenlandic Inuit standardized their oral and written language, which was key in making it the language of schools and government. Now, Greenlandic is one of the healthiest indigenous languages in the world!

23. Posted by Bullied on

This is bullying, from all sides all races.
    However, from my own personal experience going to high school in Iqaluit – im glad it’s over and I will never allow my children to go to school there, nor will I move back to Iqaluit again. Not only is this in high school, its at work places, its on the street, its at the stores, list can go on and on.

24. Posted by Lucille on

I grew up with all Inuit kids in my class but the ones who tried to break my spirit were some teachers. Maybe because i am smart and had high IQ; that i had a good chance to go places and achieve many but dropped out at secondary 3 because I got tired of being belittled, humiliated and degraded by the ones who had to help me the most. I skipped a couple of grades so I was the youngest in the class which one of my teachers liked to use against me: not my fault. Nobody knew what I went through and I feel sorry for the kid who didn’t have a chance

25. Posted by Concerned Parent on

Many Inuit parents who’ve had their children go to high school in Iqaluit have struggled in trying to address a number of issues. And many of these parents\grandparents\guardians aren’t aware that the system is failing their children. The curriculum is written in southern Canada suitable for their students, not for Nunavummiut.
    Imagine if…our Inuktitut Language Arts Curriculum was imposed in southern Canada? Just to make a point.

The Department of Education administrators have to address this & the other issues quickly. Our children & grandchildren deserve a better education & experience at high
    school. Some of us feel that both administrators & teachers should only be offered two year contracts, and have a system in place for those “effective” administrators\teachers to be able to extend their contract for another “x” number of years.
    Many of us know too many administrators & teachers have been doing their same job for too long, in the same school\community. CHANGE is best regularly in this type of field.
    school

• Posted by karina on

This comment is flawed and has zero basis. Education is education, and does not have to be tailored to suit Mr Inuk! Math is math, so if a kid has to add the number of apples or number of seals, the concept is exactly the same and should not matter. With science, I am not even sure how you can modify it as facts are facts. The notion that the education is southern is rather absurd, because there is no such a thing. Education is education, it is global! The only difference would be language classes, where students require better Inuktitut classes, but who is to blame for that? There is a lack of resources and reliable teachers for the subject, do you want southerners to become Inuktitut teacher to solve the problem? Well that will not happen. The cause of the issues Inuit students have in school come from their homes and not the school. There is only so much a school could do when you come from a broken household; which sadly is the case of most students. The best evidence is that Inuit who do succeed and proceed to higher education all come from stable supportive healthy families. This is not an Inuit problem, anywhere on the planet kids from broken households fail at educational and professional levels. Call a spade a spade ffs!

• Posted by Why not on

A student may come from a perfectly good home and struggle with language and feel discouraged to go to school and then don’t continue their education. Why is it so far fetched that SCIENCES, MATH and other subjects be offered in the Inuktitut language? What if that becomes developed? What if we start small and eventually grow from there? Maybe some students may continue their education. How come Inuit and Inuktitut learning speakers (Inuit or Qallunaat) not be able to eventually succeed in Nunavut in the Inuktitut language? There are many successful bilingual Inuit out there. Imagine an all Inuktitut language in grocery stores and businesses and offices. You might not see it, but that’s a reality I wish for in my lifetime. Your post is discouraging and contributing to language loss and the success of Inuit or Inuktitut speaking individuals with that mentality. As English is the common language, I don’t see why both cannot be successfully collaborated. Eventually. Inuktitut is my first language and I now struggle with my own language as many do. I’m trying to be fully bilingual using my own resources and any available to me. If Inuktitut was offered throughout high school, I would think that would have many opportunities in the future and I’d take it if the opportunity was available. Schools should offer English and English/Inuktitut mix streams. Maybe some things would make more sense in your own language or help grow that confidence in continuing education and learning English throughout the way.

• Posted by Arctic Southerner on

Completely agree. I read the original article and one thing comes to mind: “perception is reality”. And we know the factors that shape perception. And another thing, I really dislike being called a colonizer. I was born in Oshawa for God sakes. If Nunavut wants to leave Canada, then do it, otherwise, let’s be a country. I never treated immigrants down South any different that those born and raised here, and I have never in my life witnessed such blatant racism as I have up here.

26. Posted by Tommy on

Nunavut “was” a dream.

27. Posted by Jennifer on

I used to live and teach in Nunavut. I agree 100% the curriculum and texts should be created in Nunavut, not imported from the south…so why has this not happened yet? It has all been in progress for 15 years, but it is the department of education in Nunavut that has dragged it’s heels and failed to implement a standard Inuit based curriculum. In part this is because there are simply not enough highly educated Inuk to do it…but this will not change significantly until more go to school and university…which is not as likely to happen until the curriculum reflects an Inuit perspective. Nunavut is stuck between a rock and a hard place.