New case of COVID-19 confirmed in Rankin Inlet
Residents will now need to wear masks in public places, says chief medical health officer
The Government of Nunavut confirmed a new case of COVID-19 in Rankin Inlet on Friday.
The person had returned to Rankin Inlet on Aug. 29 from travel outside of Nunavut and was symptomatic before travelling, said Dr. Rosann Seviour, Nunavut’s acting chief public health officer.
“The individual was confirmed COVID-19 positive by the lab in Rankin Inlet yesterday evening and has since been medevaced to a hospital in southern Canada,” Seviour said in a news release.
“All household contacts are isolating at home.”
Nunavut health officials announced last week that the virus had been detected in Rankin Inlet’s waste water, but Seviour said that this case is not linked to those signals.
The risk to the Kivalliq community is considered low right now, she added.
As a result of the new case, Rankin Inlet residents will now be required to wear masks in public places, Seviour said. There are no other changes to public health measures in the community for now.
As of Aug. 31, 73 per cent of Rankin Inlet’s population aged 12 and up has been fully vaccinated.
Anyone experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 should isolate immediately, Nunavut health officials say, and call the COVID-hotline at 1-888-975-8601 or the local health centre.