No new COVID-19 cases in Nunavut
Six recoveries bring territory’s active case count down to 42
Nunavut reported no new COVID-19 cases today along with six recoveries, bringing the territory’s total active case count down to 42, the Government of Nunavut said in a news release issued Dec. 10.
At the same time, Nunavut’s top doctor warns that residents shouldn’t let their guards down.
“No new cases today does not mean it’s an opportunity to relax or ease any of our public health measures,” Dr. Michael Patterson said.
Patterson said people in isolation should stay home and limit the risk to their communities.
And all Nunavummiut should continue to wear masks outside the home, practise physical distancing and wash their hands as often as possible, he said.
The territory reported its first case on Nov. 6 in Sanikiluaq, but after that the caseload grew quickly with cases confirmed in Rankin Inlet, Arviat and Whale Cove.
Since then, Sanikiluaq, Rankin Inlet and Whale Cove have fallen to zero cases. The 42 remaining active cases are all in Arviat.
Today, a total of 229 lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Nunavut, with 145 recoveries.
Most of Nunavut has emerged from under a GN-imposed lockdown that took effect on Nov. 18 and ended Dec. 2. Arviat is still subject to a strict lockdown.
Across Canada, more than 440,000 COVID-19 cases have been reported since March, when the pandemic began. More than 13,000 people have died of the disease. No deaths have been reported in Nunavut.