Nunavut government announces new COVID-19 case in Arviat
It’s the territory’s first new case since Dec. 28
The Nunavut government has announced a new COVID-19 case in Arviat.
The news, announced on Friday, Jan. 22, comes several weeks after the hamlet celebrated an important milestone – zero active cases after suffering an outbreak that wrought 222 infections and one death over the past two months.
The government says this case is the first positive it has detected since Dec. 28.
“The positive result was part of follow-up surveillance testing in response to the outbreak,” said Nunavut Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Michael Patterson in a news release.
He said there is no evidence of community transmission, and risk of spread is low. For that reason, there will be no escalation of public health measures.
The individual is asymptomatic and isolating, according to the release.
Last week, the hamlet rolled out its vaccination program, along with a raffle, where five people had the chance to win $2,000.
More than 850 Arviat residents were inoculated as of Jan. 13.
The clinics in the hamlet are scheduled to resume Feb. 11 to Feb. 15, according to the release.
“Residents of Arviat who missed the first vaccination clinics and wish to receive the vaccine can call the health centre to make an appointment,” the release states.
Health officials urge anybody who has reason to believe they’ve been exposed to COVID-19 to call the government hotline at 1-888-975-8601 between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. EST, or notify their health centre.
Officials also urge those who think they’ve been exposed to immediately isolate for 14 days.
“Please don’t go to the health centre in person,” the release states.