Omicron variant confirmed in Nunavik

Regional health board imposes 28-day travel restrictions

Ivujivik, seen in this file photo, was added to the Nunavik ‘red alert’ communities, the region’s health board announced Monday. The board confirmed the Omicron variant of COVID-19 was detected in the region last week, prompting a 28-day “temporary lockdown” and travel restrictions. (File photo by Sarah Rogers)

By Nunatsiaq News

The Omicron variant of COVID-19 has been confirmed in Nunavik, the region’s health board reported on Sunday. It was first confirmed on Dec. 23, a joint news release issued on Sunday by the Nunavik Regional Board of Health and Social Services, the Kativik Regional Government and Makivik Corp. states.

That prompted the three organizations to limit travel in and out of the region to essential travel only.

“The decision to restrict travels and impose a temporary lockdown is based on the seriousness of the situation and is taken for everyone’s health and safety,” Makivik president Pita Aatami said in the release.

The travel restrictions will take effect on Dec. 29 and will be in place for a 28-day period, the board said.

“The main purpose of this measure is to delay as much as possible the spread of the virus … within the region,” the board stated in a post on its Facebook page Sunday.

Travellers into Nunavik from southern Canada will be required to apply for a Nunavik Territory Access Authorization form. People travelling between two northern communities or travelling from the north to the south will not be required to complete the form, the board said.

Because the public health measure has a “high impact” on Nunavimmiut, the board will re-evaluate it on a weekly basis, following how the situation evolves both in the North and the south.

Nunavimmiut are encouraged to do what they can to avoid adding pressure to the already “overloaded” hospital system in the southern part of the province.

Omicron is spreading “at an incredible pace” in the south and is affecting the entire province’s health-care system, the release states. Southern hospitals are reaching their maximum capacity and won’t be able to accept patients.

There were 22 active cases of COVID-19 in Nunavik as of Friday, according to the health board’s most recent update.

Share This Story

(5) Comments:

  1. Posted by Elizabeth Angiyou on

    Hello this is Elizabeth Angiyou I am 35 years old and I am pregnant Of 35 weeks and 3 days, I have been catching the virus and I believe I had it on 24th of December 2021, I contacted someone who had been tested but doesn’t seem to have the virus I never got to go to down south, the one who was in mtl was not using a mask while he was in mtl also he didn’t use it while he was at our only store so I blame him for it but I was not contacted him, it is a very hard time for us. I have a family and one of my daughter usually gets sick with asthma so I am really worried about her health if she’s catching it 😔

    3
    2
    • Posted by Hmm.. on

      You are very brave to come out like that but don’t point fingers because we actually never know who gave it to us. Could even be something you touched. I am under quarantine, too. I will do my quarantine with the respect everyone deserves. If you see someone break quarantine, report them to CLSC. This isn’t right for them to do that, at all.

    • Posted by P. on

      Not good, people who do not respect mitigation measures are putting people at risk and those of us following are getting crap from those that do not want to respect rules, whoever that person is that isnt wearing masks especially when they had been south should be charged with endangering peoples health, our leaders should stop playing the understanding one and start actually fining and even charging them if they do cause the outbreak.

    • Posted by Le M on

      Is it because he is vaccinated not wearing mask in public places?

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*