Iqaluit’s COVID-19 case count climbs to 6
Premier Joe Savikataaq announces 4 new cases of the virus on Friday
Four new cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Iqaluit, Premier Joe Savikataaq announced on Twitter Friday morning.
With no new recoveries reported, there are now six active cases of the virus in the territory, all in Iqaluit.
Friday’s announcement marks the first time since May 26 that the territory reported new cases on consecutive days.
Wednesday’s case was discovered when the person was admitted to Qikiqtani General Hospital.
During a media briefing following Thursday’s announcement, Patterson said that it would take “a lot more than one case,” to send Iqaluit back into a lockdown.
“The goals of our outbreak response include ensuring that the health-care system, including public health, contact tracing and everything doesn’t get overwhelmed,” Patterson said.
“In the second half of April and early May, the contact tracing staff were able to keep up but it was a struggle. We’re now in a much better position.”
According to Savikataaq, today’s new cases involve people who were not vaccinated.
To date, 17,885 people in Nunavut have received their first vaccine dose and 15,707 are now fully vaccinated.
Following Savikataaq’s announcement earlier in the week that Nunavut’s supply of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines had arrived in the territory on schedule, community clinics for youth between the ages of 12 and 17 will begin on June 15 and run through July.
In Iqaluit, the first Pfizer doses for youth will be available at Nunavut Tunngavik Inc.’s mass vaccination clinic from June 16 to 19 between the hours of 1 p.m. and 10 p.m. Officials at the clinic, located at the curling rink, will also administer the Moderna vaccine to adults.
The Government of Nunavut is scheduled to hold its next televised COVID-19 update on Monday at 11 a.m. eastern time.